Sign up to receive Gary's monthly newsletter full of great tips and new products.
A list of Gary's favorite products to use for his home improvement projects.
See which guests will be on with Gary each week.
Watch Gary's video tips on specific home improvement projects.
1. Using a high quality flat paint that scrubs well will also hide many imperfections on the wall.
2. If you are using a custom color of paint make sure to purchase enough paint to complete the job. Always mark the mixing formula on the bottom of the can along with the date and the room that was painted.
3. Use a primer when painting over dark color with a light color or painting over and stain of spackling compounds.
4. Use good applicators to roll the paint onto the walls. Good paint and a cheap applicator will result in a disappointing job. 9” roller cover with a 3/8” nap costing around 4 to 5 dollars should do the trick.
5. Use good quality masking tape such as Frog Tape to protect the wood work when rolling the wall. This type of tape will peel off the surface without damage.
6. Always paint with a wet edge. Do not let your trim paint dry before rolling the wall.
7. When rolling a wall with paint, roll in the shape of a W and then cross roll for a smooth finish.
8. When applying paint to a ceiling always start in front of the window and roll to the darkest corner. This will help with a consistent finish of paint on the ceiling.
9. Invest in a good canvas drop cloth. The drop cloth will last a lifetime and will be easy to manage.
10. Always have some Krud Kutter ready to wipe up some spills.