STEVIE NICKS WAS DEVASTATED BY DEATH OF 'GLEE' STAR
Stevie Nicks says that the death of Glee star Cory Monteith left her devastated, according to HeraldScotland.com. Nicks first met the 31-year-old actor, who died from and alcohol and heroin overdose last July, when Glee dedicated an episode to Fleetwood Mac's music. Nicks said, "With this Cory thing I've thought a lot about (drugs). Mostly you realized that all that recreational/non-addictive (idea) was bull*** when it started to become more important than music. And it did. And heroin's a lot quicker road to that! It's gonna become more important than your music, or your acting, or your amazing career that you have ahead of you. You're just throwing it away. And you have somebody like Cory who had the world at his feet, and his fingertips."
Nicks recalled that she and Fleetwood Mac were very careful about what type of drugs they enjoyed back in the day: "(In the '70s) we were really warned about heroin. I can't remember who it was but somebody said, 'this is what will happen if you do heroin: you get really, really sick, you'll throw up for hours, then you'll have about an hour of a high. And then after that high you'll start scraping the ground looking for more. Then for the rest of your life -- probably -- that's what you will do: search the world for that high. And you'll never find it.'"
Stevie Nicks said that the emotional trauma of every one in the band suffering through a romantic breakup during the sessions for 1977's Rumours pushed the group towards cocaine -- which kick-started a decade-long addiction that nearly killed her. As cocaine took over the industry, Nicks says that most people believed it was entirely non-addictive: "Y'know, I thought as I was going through the '70s and cocaine was introduced into everybody's life, and told that it was recreational, and that it was not dangerous. But, y'know, that's what we were told, really. On the other side of that, we were also told, 'Don't ever do heroin, because if you do it once, you'll have to do it every day, because you'll never feel that good again, and you'll be chasing that, that high for the rest of your life.' So, it was like, I was told not to do heroin and told why and didn't. But cocaine, we were all told was cool -- that's why we did it. Of course, then we all got extremely addicted to it."